Established Circa 1875
Bank erosion can be caused by :
- Loose soil being washed away when the river is in spate.
- Cattle or sheep coming down to the river to drink – usually at the same place every time.
- Unstable banks due to lack of bank-side vegetation and/or trees.
There are several ways to protect vulnerable areas:
- Plant trees along the bank sides and encourage the growth of vegetation.
- Fence off areas of livestock erosion, repair the bank and encourage new growth of vegetation.
- Protect vulnerable areas of loose soil using groynes.